Monday, July 14, 2014

MTT On My Own: Week 2

This was the first week of summer camp #1 that I'm helping out in.  I tried to stick to the marathon training plan as much as time allowed at camp, which usually meant waking up early for my runs.  Here are the specifics:

Monday

This was supposed to be a rest day, but it's impossible to not do any form of exercise at camp, since our main mode of transportation here is walking.  

Tuesday

I woke up at 5am, got ready, then at 6am I woke up the 2 ladies who said they'd join me on my runs (Eszti and Tünde).  I ran 3 miles today, while the ladies only ran the first loop with me (about 2 miles).

Wednesday

I woke up at 5am again and ran 4 miles today.  Only Eszti ran with me this morning because Tünde said she needed to rest.

Thursday

I decided that it would be best if I didn't run this morning, since I would be one of the chauffeurs that would be driving the group of young adults who are here from Hungary to help out at the camp to Niagara Falls (Niagara Falls is about 2 hours northwest of camp).  I hadn't been to Niagara Falls in probably over 15 years, so it was nice to refresh my memory of it.  The cool thing about this quick fieldtrip was that Eszti, Jutka (the other chauffeur), and I did the Cave in the Winds, where you can walk right in front of the falls.

Friday

As I mentioned before, there is no true rest day at camp.

Saturday

Even though the marathon training plan called of a 5 mile run today, I only ran 1.57 miles because I knew we would be walking down to the Genesee River in the afternoon, which would be several miles.  The hike turned out to be 3.1 miles one way, all down hill on the way to the river.  We spent several hours at the river swimming and playing around.  The hike back was much more difficult for 2 reasons: it was all uphill and everyone was tired from the hike to the river and playing in the river.  The teachers made several loops with their cars to pick up the young campers and anyone else who was having a hard time making the hike back.  I made it about halfway back, before I decided to hop in one of the cars for a ride back to camp (uphills always aggravate my asthma).

Sunday

Today was supposed to be a cross training day, but since I'm at camp, my cross training was walking throughout the camp.

The first week of camp has been very exhausting, for everyone; I'm hoping that now that everyone is used to being at camp the second week won't be as exhausting.

No comments:

Post a Comment