Sunday, June 1, 2014

MTT: Week 1, Day 1

And so it begins.....

Yesterday morning was the first group training run with the Sportsbackers Marathon Training Team (MTT).  When I had signed up for MTT back in March, I had accidentally chosen to be in the intermediate team; I think this happened because I was looking at the mileage that the intermediates can run in a week, and I thought, "Yes, I can do that weekly mileage."  While talking to my co-worker MaryBeth Ryan (I call her Ryan), who did MTT last year, she mentioned that the intermediates run at a faster pace and that their mileage increases much faster than the novice team; she suggested that since this is my first marathon that I switch to the novice team.

I was so nervous Friday evening, even to the point of having second thoughts and doubting myself and my ability to actually do this.....but after posting my thoughts and fear on Facebook, my runner friends rallied my spirits with their words of encouragement and faith in me.





One thing that my friends and family know about me is that I'm stubborn; once I commit to doing something, I do it, even if I feel like not doing it.  So, even though I was having second thoughts about doing this whole marathon training and actually running the marathon, I knew that I would show up to the group run on Saturday morning.

I slept OK Friday night, but work up before my alarm went off at 5:15am.  I got up, got dressed in my running gear, then did my morning ritual of checking my email and Facebook which helped calm my nerves a little.  Ryan had mentioned that before the first group run with MTT, there would be an informational meeting, which had lasted about 45 minutes least year; so even though we were to meet at the Sporstbackers stadium at 7:30am, I figured we wouldn't go for the run until after 8am.  I usually eat my pre-run fuel about 1.5 hours before my planned running time, so I ate a banana with almond butter around 6:15am.

#TeamDuctTape

I knew from talking to my running friends who had done MTT in previous years that several hundred runners would be showing up for the first MTT group training run, so I decided to leave my house early and get to the Sportsbackers stadium shortly after 7am in order to be able to find a parking spot.  As I was driving down the Boulevard coming from I-95, I saw that there were already lots of cars in the parking lot and I had a moment of anxiety thinking that I wouldn't find an open parking spot.  Turns out, though, that only the first few rows were full and there were still plenty of parking spots left.  I found one right away, parked my car, filled up my hydration bottle with Gatorade, took off my long-sleeved technical shirt (even though the sun was shining, the morning air was a little cool, around 60 degrees), and headed over to the stadium entrance.  As I got closer to the entrance, I could see coaches from the various teams ready to help.  One of the gentlemen (who it turns out is one of the coaches for Team Duck Tape and was wearing biker shorts made out of duct tape) asked if I knew what my team assignment was (he had a list, in case I didn't); when I told him that I did know my assigned team (Team Maroon, an intermediate team) but that I needed to change teams, he directly me to the table where I could change teams.  Based on my 10K finish time, and my request that I be assigned to a novice team, I was assigned to Team Duct Tape.  Because the novice team had so many members this year, they split the members into 3 sub-groups: Moose, Goose, and Loose.  I was assigned to the Loose group.  Before I headed up to the stands, I decided to make a pit stop in the bathroom, as my nerves were making my bladder be more active.  After my pit stop, I headed up to the stands and realized that everyone was sitting according to their assigned team.  Turns out that my team was sitting all the way at the far end.  As I made my way over, I spotted my running friend Patty sitting with the team.  It was nice to see a familiar face in the group (Ryan runs much faster than me, so she is on one of the intermediate teams).

Just some of the crowd sitting in the stands.
Thanks to the Richmond Road Runner club for the picture.

We spent the next 20 or so minutes looking around, talking, and watching/waiting for everyone else to take their seats with their teams.  Around 7:30am, Don Garber (the head coach of MTT) started the meeting with some general information.  One of the things Don did was have everyone stand up, then those that had run a marathon before were asked to sit down; it was interesting to see how many other people are also training for their first marathon.  The informational meeting lasted about 30 minutes, then we all headed out to the parking lot with our respective teams.  Team Duct Tape coaches introduced themselves, then we staggered the start of our run.  The first run was only 4 miles for the novice teams (intermediates ran 7 miles), with an easy out and back route down Boulevard to Monument Avenue, then Monument to Malvern and back.  Along the way, the Loose coaches kept checking on everyone to make sure that they were OK and to introduce themselves personally.

Because of the breathing difficulties I had this past spring while training for the Monument 10K, I decided that I would use the Galloway method to train for (and run) my marathon.  Back in the spring, after getting advice from Tammy and Alan about doing MTT, they suggested that I try the Galloway method of running.  The Galloway method was invented by Jeff Galloway and alternates intervals of running and walking; Jeff's research has shown that his method helps prevent injuries because you give your body time to rest during the walking intervals and are less exhausted over when you finish your run.  I had calculated my Magic Mile, and based on that, I decided that my intervals would be 4 minutes of running and 1 minute of walking.  I found an interval trainer app for my iPhone where I could set what my intervals would be, along sound notifications at the beginning of each interval.

During the 4 mile run, I met Therese, who also wanted to try the Galloway method but had not brought a watch with her.  We ended up running about 3/4 of the route together, and agreed to be running partners for the rest of the group runs.  It was nice to finally find someone who runs at my pace!  As we headed back up Boulevard towards the stadium, my mind told me that my body was tired, so I walked parts of the running intervals too.  Therese and I made it back to the stadium parking lot; overall, it was a good run for me, I felt better on this run than I've felt in quite a few months.  I picked up my training booklet and chatted for a few minutes with my team's coaches, letting them know that I wouldn't be there next week (I'll be home in Cleveland for my cousin Peter's wedding, but I'll be running on my own that Sunday morning) and that I would be gone for about 6 weeks this summer.  As much as this whole thing scares me and makes me nervous to do it, I'm glad I am.  24 weeks to go until race day!

Easy route, pace was slower than in the past, but good run overall.
We ran past my first Richmond apartment, which was on Monument Ave near the Boulevard.

This is Lynn, the head coach for Team Duct Tape.
I loved her awesome duct tape outfit!
I spent most of yesterday afternoon and evening looking through the
training booklet, familiarizing myself with all of the information.

24 weeks seems like such a long time, but when broken down into individual weeks and days, it seems doable.
I spent yesterday evening entering the training schedule into my phone's calendar so that I would know what I would need to do each day.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! Great job on the first day of MTT! I am signing up for the HMTT that starts in August. Which interval training app are you using? I am looking for one, I use the Galloway method and I enjoy that method of training.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Reynaul! I'm using one of the free interval timer apps for the iPhone, the Interval Timer- Timing for HIIT Training by Deltaworks.

      Delete